The first set of images were created by comfortably gripping my charcoal and not using more pressure than I needed to make strong marks. I worked very quickly and without overthinking the process using my whole arm.
The next image I created by making longer strokes and adding more shape. I then cut through these shapes with a rubber. After using the rubber I noticed that my picture appeared to have more depth. There appeared to be a greater range of intensity in the picture because the rubber had added deeper areas of differing tone.
For the last picture I used felt tip pen. I then swept a brush dipped in water over the marks I'd already made. My lines have blurred and because there is now more variation of tone, just as before, I feel that there is more depth to this picture as though some shapes are more 3D. The stains have created patterns as they bled. I could manipulate the stains for a short period of time but only until the brushed dried.